In this new Lectio bible study, Dr. Brant Pitre draws evidence from both early Christian and non-Christian writings attesting to the authenticity, authorship, and dating of the Gospels, and he gives an in-depth look at the gospel accounts of Jesus’s Crucifixion, Resurrection, and the proclamation of Jesus’s divinity. Nine episodes on a 4 disc set include:
- Were the Gospels Anonymous? (36:12 min)
- The Early Church Fathers (34:18 min)
- Are the Gospels Biographies? (36:52 min)
- When Were the Gospels Written? (38:20 min)
- The Kingdom of God and the Messiah (34:28 min)
- Did Jesus Claim to Be God? (34:19 min)
- The Crucifixion of Jesus (37:16 min)
- The Resurrection of Jesus (44:09 min)
- Question and Answer (38:29 min)
“What we find in examining these early writings is that there was no question whatsoever about who authored the Gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. According to Church Fathers, even the heretics affirmed that the Gospels were written by eyewitnesses. These heretics did not believe that the apostolic eyewitnesses were telling the truth, but their writings do not suggest a belief that the Gospels are forgeries or that they were written anonymously and then attributed to eyewitnesses after the fact.”
—From Lectio The Case for Jesus: The Biblical and Historical Evidence for Christ
Brant Pitre is Distinguished Research Professor of Sacred Scripture at the Augustine Institute and he received his Ph.D. in New Testament and ancient Judaism from the University of Notre Dame. He teaches, writes and lectures on Scripture, with an emphasis on the Jewish roots of Christianity. His writings include Lectio Mary: The Bible and the Mother of God, Jesus the Bridegroom: The Greatest Love Story Ever Told, Jesus and the Jewish Root of Mary: Unveiling the Mother of the Messiah, The Case for Jesus, Jesus and the Jewish Roots of the Eucharist: Unlocking the Secrets of the Last Supper, among others.
Lectio: The Case for Jesus DVD Set
- When Were the Gospels Written? Did Jesus Claim to Be God?
- Join Dr. Brant Pitre as he draws evidence from both early Christian and non-Christian writings to attest to the truths of our faith.
- Dr. Brant Pitre is a Distinguished Research Professor of Sacred Scripture at the Augustine Institute and he received his Ph.D. in New Testament and ancient Judaism from the University of Notre Dame. He is an extremely enthusiastic and highly sought-a